why not delete unrestorable the original file

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
paracrypt

why not delete unrestorable the original file

Post by paracrypt »

see question above:
what sense makes it to crypt a file and next you have to erase the original file beceause it can be restored by forensic means)- same when you decrypt the file it will be on your computer again
what I mean ist: you need another programm wich is able to delete the original file completely or create encrypted containers or devices.
what I understand - this programm is just to send some files to someone or for storage in external drive
paulej

Re: why not delete unrestorable the original file

Post by paulej »

I didn't write the software to delete the original file automatically since people usually encrypt to put the encrypted file elsewhere (flash drive, cloud, email, etc.).

The other problem with deleting a file is that it can only be guaranteed to delete in traditional magnetic drives. Newer solid state drives (SSDs), flash drives, etc. use a technology to prevent wearing that actually prevents secure deletion.

My opinion was that is secure deletion is required, it's best done with a special tool for that job.