AES Crypt On Mac

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
madamgeeky

Re: AES Crypt On Mac

Post by madamgeeky »

I got the email, thanks. The problem is that we are not techies, so jfilecrypt means nothing to us.

We are getting around it with TrueCrypt for now. Not perfect for our needs, but it will do for now.

:)
Que2

Post by Que2 »

Sorry to raise a dead topic but I encountered the same problem.

But I managed to compile a binary. I am running Mac OSX 10.4.11.
I then overwrote the binary from the gui version by opening up the package. Now when I drag and drop on the icon I get encryption and decryption.

I am attempting to upload the fixed version so the developers can examine it.
If this does not work if the developers can contact me I will send via e-mail to them.
Attachments
AESCrypt.zip
Compressed AESCrypt.zip for MAC GUI version fixed for OSX 10.4.11
(52.83 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
paulej

Post by paulej »

Was this an issue you addressed in the Applescript or just re-compiling the binary?

We've had challenges getting a binary that will work on multiple OS X releases. Build it for one and it will not work on the next.
Que2

Post by Que2 »

paulj,

It was just re-compiling the binary.
What through me off for a few days were the instructions.

"For those who wish to compile your own binaries, all you need to do is install the Xcode development tools, modify the Makefile to link with 'iconv' (i.e., '-l iconv'), and type "make". Apple could not have made it any simpler."

I spent all my time trying to do iconv from the command line (which is a valid command for my os BTW.

This could have been more simply stated:
Open the Makefile and uncomment or remove the "#" from the "#LIBS=-liconv" line so it looks like the below:

#Uncomment the line below to compile on Mac
LIBS=-liconv

Then run make at the command line after you navigate to the directory where you stored your source code.

+++

However the above may be too simple but I kept thinking that the -l iconv was something that I needed to do at the command line . However, long story short once I actually took a look at the makefile it was readily apparent what I had to do; maybe you just need a note that the command that you talk about is not run from the command line to modify the makefile but a switch that you can turn on in the makefile.

Anyhow, the binary is just for PowerPC 10.4.11 it will not work under any other OS.

I am on 10.4.11 by choice because it is my favorite OS and over the years I have collected all of my apps that I need. Tenfourfox which I use for internet browsing. I have stripped out Java out of my OS because I do not want the possibility of apps interacting with it. Actually Dropbox has a native client so I have my path to storage in the cloud. Everything else is firewalled down and hardened. Most bad Mac things are targeting Intel anyway and most people have moved on from this old OS. But I have my development tools installed and etc.

AESCrypt was a critical app to get working because I wanted to encrypt things to/from my dropbox per file, rather than in a blob like truecrypt. So I kept trying until I figured out how to repair the problems I encountered with the gui version of this.

The only other thing I might do next is try to modify the source to obfuscate (not encrypt) the filename in a way that can be undone when the .aes file is decrypted. Now I would have to manually just change the filename.

I just want to say that I really like your program. I am a regular "Security Now!" listener and found out about your program from a recommendation on there a few months ago.

Sorry for such a long response!
Que2

Post by Que2 »

"We've had challenges getting a binary that will work on multiple OS X releases. Build it for one and it will not work on the next."

The problem is libiconv.2.dylib. When you build it on another OSX Release it links it to a specific version of the file on that platform or release. Apple is know for steadily moving forward and does not contain the version that is expected from the compiled aescrypt code that links to this. The only solution is either to get rid of this dependency (not likely) or to figure out a way to bundle the library code. i.e. something like: http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... g_MacPorts

This problem is a common problem with this library, there are many articles about this.

However the simple method may be to just say you are compatible with the newer versions of OS X and say that if you need to backport that you have to build your own binary.
DougReed

Re: AES Crypt On Mac Install Package

Post by DougReed »

All,

Here is a new PowerPC 'Install Package' using the '.app' uploaded by 'Que2' on June 29, 2012. PowerPC users, please test this and let me know if it works. If so, Paul can replace the install package for PowerPC he has now with this one.
Attachments
AESCrypt.pkg.zip
(55.49 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Regards,

Doug Reed
DougReed

Post by DougReed »

Someone else on this forum posted that there was a bug in the AppleScript. Here is a fixed version.

Still please test this and let everyone know if it works.
Attachments
AESCrypt.pkg.zip
(55.77 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
Regards,

Doug Reed