Large quantity of files to decrypt

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
calamisc

Large quantity of files to decrypt

Post by calamisc »

Greetings, my boss handed me a portable drive with a few million files on it encrypted with AEScrypt. I have been trying to de-crypt them, but can only do about 5k at a time in Windows due to issues with file explorer. Is there a command line or power shell instruction that I can use that will just do the files within the entire directory and/or sub directory, I don't have a concern on time, the password is the same for all files, and I can move the files around to different directories on the portable drive to accomplish this, I just want to let this run and be done with it :D

thanks in advance
CC
paulej

Re: Large quantity of files to decrypt

Post by paulej »

Yes, there's a command-line version installed with the GUI version. See C:\Program Files\AESCrypt\aescrypt.exe.

To use it, see the examples here: https://www.aescrypt.com/windows_aes_crypt.html

Or type "aescrypt -h" for help.
calamisc

Post by calamisc »

Thank you, works great. Last question----Is there a switch I can add to the cli to ignore errors if encountered. I have come across some errors when doing multi-file processes and would like the program to just ignore them and continue

Thanks
paulej

Post by paulej »

There's no switch, but you could redirect error messages like this:

Code: Select all

aescrypt -d -p secret foo.txt.aes 2>nul
PowerShell uses $null rather than nul, I think.
calamisc

Post by calamisc »

Worked great, thank you very much !!!