AESCRYPT DO NOT OPEN

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
anton56

AESCRYPT DO NOT OPEN

Post by anton56 »

AES DECRYPT DOES NOT OPEN AND NOT MAKE AN ENTRY FOR WINDOW 10 MENU.

I installed accrording to instructions, changing compatibility, and no open GUI.

also tried installing ina a diffrent disk not a SSD.

What can I do?
paulej

Re: AESCRYPT DO NOT OPEN

Post by paulej »

If you right-click on a file and don't see the "AES Encrypt" or "AES Decrypt" menu option, then you probably installed a 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine (or vice versa). Verify the architecture type for your operating system.

Since you installed AES Crypt already, first uninstall it and reboot to ensure its fully removed. Then you can safely install the correct version.
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

Hello,

On a new Windows10 computer, I installed AES Crypt using AESCrypt_v310_x64.zip. I got no error, so I guess it's OK.

But when right-clicking on a file > X64 > AES Crypt, nothing happens. Likewise, when right-clicking on an .AES file > X64 > AES Decrypt, nothing happens.

Rebooting didn't solve it.

What could it be?

Thank you.
Attachments
A05105DF-22B1-4F98-B5BE-8971F5FFD1D7.png
A05105DF-22B1-4F98-B5BE-8971F5FFD1D7.png (16.2 KiB) Viewed 4634 times
paulej

Post by paulej »

I've never seen that X64 menu before. Is that created by some other application?

Anyway, on 64-bit Windows you 10 or 11, one should run only the 64-bit version of aescrypt.msi. it will install a context menu similar to this. On Windows 10, it would be in the main list. On Windows 11, Microsoft moved it, so one has to choose "Show more options". There, one should see "AES Enrypt" or "AES Decrypt" as choices when right-clicking on a file.

Are you right-clicking on a file to get that menu? Do you have 64-bit Windows? (If 32-bit Windows 10, you need to install the 32-bit aescrypt.msi.)

Once selecting "AES Encrypt", a dialog box should open promoting for a password.
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

I had an idea while waking up this morning :-) See if it was because I was still using an old, 32-bit version of Total Commander.

Turns out that's what it was: Trying the latest, 64-bit release works fine.

Thank you.