Overwrite existing file - AES Crypt Error

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
franc

Overwrite existing file - AES Crypt Error

Post by franc »

Hallo

I use AES Crypt on PC (W10) and Mac (10.11) for some sensible files I have in some subversion repo.
The textfiles are encrypted in this repo. e.g. passwords.txt.aes.

On PC I can use the context menu to decrypt them, but when I want to encrypt them again, I have to first delete the aes file, because it says (see also attached Screenshot):
AES Crypt Error
Unable to open output file C:\path\to\passwords.txt.aes:
Die Datei ist vorhanden
Is there a way to tell AES Crypt by default to overwrite the files if existing? Or at least ask if can do?
On Mac I have the same problem, but here there are even no context handlers, so I use the toolbar and drag and drop the files on a AES Crypt icon.

Thank for hint.

frank
Attachments
AESCryptOverwrite.jpg
AESCryptOverwrite.jpg (8.09 KiB) Viewed 9752 times
paulej

Re: Overwrite existing file - AES Crypt Error

Post by paulej »

Not on Windows, no. The Mac and Linux versions rely on the users to not make a mistake and will write over old files. The Windows version assumes the user might have made a mistake and refuses to overwrite existing files. (The command-line version might, but I cannot recall off-hand. It should also complain, just for consistency.)

Which way is better? I don't know. Some people appreciate the fact there is an error to prevent mistakes and some people don't like it. I have requests on the Mac / Linux side to behave like Windows, and some on Windows who want it like is is on Linux.

Allowing it to overwrite files is easy to do, but the problem is that it's very clear that there will be people unhappy with the result, regardless of which approach is taken. For the GUI versions, I could change the software to ask "do you want to overwrite the file?" That adds another step, but it is less intrusive than having to cancel and start over.

This is definitely on my to-do list, but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to get to the to-do list. I have a lot of enhancements planned and have an ever-growing list.