Text encryption?

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
johnmcloud

Text encryption?

Post by johnmcloud »

Hi guys, i have a question. I'd like to create a GUI for win-command line for create a easy "on- the-fly" text encryption. So i create a txt file and write this:

Code: Select all

The sun is gold and the sky is blue
Saved the file like Test.txt and encrypted with password "asd"

I have open the file "File.txt.aes" and the result is:

AES  CREATED_BY aescrypt 3.08 €                                                                                                                                  ¹‘Û›£«¥®$„×¾ÑëÅâ~µôÕ’½A«šUIaÓ^]¥´­ºÝ¶ Œ=îBœUj%ºrjí÷»¾S‹Ùa÷1—j€›Ô®y^{ðöµ¾y‘¼ÆQ?Ò2êÐöÏé#¤Ç|T%ºÞ&b'Ã%ÄäVážÊÌH?½³]VÄ’Žu-5¢·hanGcPTߥ·~ô³©WŠ,^_e¡F	VnC«|p8E*ó
If i copy the code on a txt file and save like "File.txt.aes" i can't decript, give me this error:

Unable to open output
Someone can give me a solution? Why i cant save the content and save it as txt.aes? I need to make the GUI read the file

Thanks,
John
paulej

Re: Text encryption?

Post by paulej »

You are aware that there is a GUI that integrates with Windows shell? I assume you want something that isn't? (There is actually an aescrypt32.exe that can be called to decrypt files that presents a simple dialog box.)

In any case, I can appreciate that you might want a better GUI. The resulting .aes file is a binary file that you cannot simply copy with something like notepad. I hope you didn't try that :-) You can copy the file with the COPY command.

AES Crypt takes an input file like File.txt and creates File.txt.aes. If File.txt exists and you try to decrypt File.txt.aes, you'll get an error. If you copy File.txt.aes to something like File2.txt.aes, you would avoid the issue of having the file already present.

Along with saying it cannot create the output file, it should tell you why. Does it not? Off hand, I cannot think of a reason that isn't obvious (e.g., out of memory, out of disk space, etc.), except for the case I just mentioned.
johnmcloud

Post by johnmcloud »

Edit: See post under this
Last edited by johnmcloud on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnmcloud

Post by johnmcloud »

Yeeeeeeeeeees! :lol:
I'll do it, i have create a module for text encryption/decryption :D

Thanks foru you work Paul,
See you next time.