Newbee How to install the GUI version in Ubuntu

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
2old2tech

Newbee How to install the GUI version in Ubuntu

Post by 2old2tech »

I have tried everything I know, but I can't quite figure out how to get the GUI version installed in Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance.
paulej

Re: Newbee How to install the GUI version in Ubuntu

Post by paulej »

This needs to be better documented, but here's the steps.
  • Download the current Linux GUI version for your operating system (32-bit or 64-bit) and place that in the
  • "Downloads" folder (or somewhere where you can find it)
  • Extract the .gz file to get the install file (using Nautilus, just right-click on the file and select "Extract Here")
  • Right-click on the -install file and select "Properties". Under the "Permissions" tab, check the "Allow executing file as program"
  • Now we need to run the program, but you must be root to do that. Here's one way:
    • Click on the "Ubuntu" logo and type "terminal" in the search box to find the terminal application; open it (or, just type CTRL+ALT+T to open it directly)
    • At the $ prompt, change directories to where the AESCrypt install package is located. If you downloaded it to the Downloads folder, type "cd Downloads".
    • Type "./AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86_64-Install" (or whatever the name of the install package is; usually typing ./AES" and hitting the tab key will cause the shell to expand complete the command for you).
      You will be prompted to enter the root password to install.
      From here, you just follow the instructions, which is mostly just clicking "Next" :-)
Now it is installed. To encrypt or decrypt a file, you can right-click on a file and select "Open With Other Application..." Select AES Crypt (which you may have to select by first clicking the "Show other applications" button. The program will determine whether to encrypt or decrypt based on the name of the file (.aes files get encrypted, whereas any other file type would get encrypted).

I hope that helps!

Paul

PS: If you are fairly familiar with working in the shell, then it's much easier than trying to do part of it in the GUI and part at the command-line. All that is required is to use "gunzip" to uncompress the downloaded file, do "chmod 755 filename" (where filename is the name of the file), then "./AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86_64-Install" to execute it.