Right click encrypt-decrypt for Mac

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
justafan

Right click encrypt-decrypt for Mac

Post by justafan »

I wanted to be able to right-click in the mac finder to encrypt or decrypt a file just like in windows. I did not find any way to do this described in the documentation or with a cursory google search so wrote a very small Automator script to enable me to do this.

I thought it might be of interest to others so here it is. If you open the script in Automator you can see what it does so you can re-assure yourself before you install it.

Unzip it, then double-click on the enclosed script. "Automator" will launch and ask you if you want to install the script as a service, select yes, or open the script in Automator so that you can see what it does and you can re-assure yourself before you install it.

If you have AESCRYPT installed in your machine, then what this script does is add an extra item to the "right click" menu that pops up when you click an item in the finder. If you scroll down you will see a menu choice (perhaps as a sub menu under services) to encrypt or decrypt the file. That way you dont have to drag the file to the application but encrypt or decrypt it directly from the finder.
Attachments
Crypt or Decrypt.zip
Automator script for right click
(30 KiB) Downloaded 3609 times
tempAcc

Re: Right click encrypt-decrypt for Mac

Post by tempAcc »

I just switched from Linux to Mac OS, and it is perfectly what I was looking for.
Allows you to have the encrypt/decrypt in right-click menu, and no icon in the dock is necessary anymore.
Thank you @justafan
franc

Post by franc »

justafan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:50 am ...
If you have AESCRYPT installed in your machine, then what this script does is add an extra item to the "right click" menu that pops up when you click an item in the finder. If you scroll down you will see a menu choice (perhaps as a sub menu under services) to encrypt or decrypt the file. That way you dont have to drag the file to the application but encrypt or decrypt it directly from the finder.
Hallo, I "installed" AESencrypt to my Mac OS 10.11.6 machine, that means, I copied it into the Applications folder, there was not installation about it.
Then I installed your script with Automator like you described, seems successful, no error messages.f

But in my right click menu (in PathFinder 7.6.2) I don't find any entry to encrypt (or decrypt) a file, neither under "Services" submenu :(
Is there something I should furtherly do to have the right-click-menu for it to work?
Thanks.
frank
Last edited by franc on Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulej

Post by paulej »

Did you install @justafan's extension?
franc

Post by franc »

paulej wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:59 pm Did you install @justafan's extension?
franc wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:29 am ...Then I installed your script with Automator like you described, seems successful, no error messages...
Yes, that is why I ask here :) :)
Last edited by franc on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulej

Post by paulej »

Oh, sorry... I didn't pay enough attention :)