AES Crypt now Available in the Apple App Store for iOS

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
jasonf

AES Crypt now Available in the Apple App Store for iOS

Post by jasonf »

The first iOS version of AES Crypt for iPads and iPhones has been published.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aescryp ... 75640?mt=8

AES Crypt for iOS decrypts and previews encrypted files previously saved in other cloud based apps (Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, Email, Websites, etc). It adds an "Open In..." option for .aes file types in all other apps that support exporting files.

Here are instructions explaining the process of exporting files from Dropbox. If you select a file with the .aes extension, "Open In... AESCrypt" will be an option.
https://www.dropbox.com/help/80/en
The export process from other 3rd party cloud based apps will have a similar export process.

After selecting "Open in... AESCrypt", AES Crypt for iOS will open and prompt for your encryption password. The decrypted file will then be stored locally in the AESCrypt app for previewing, renaming, deleting or exporting to other apps.

Note: Encrypting files in this app is not yet supported, but if there is enough interest, it may be added in a future release. The idea for this initial release was simply to provide a quick way view encrypted files on your iPhone or iPad.

I'm sure this iOS app will evolve and improve as feedback comes in. Please uses this Forum to discuss problems, features or ideas. Thanks! :)
apalopohapa

Re: AES Crypt now Available in the Apple App Store for iOS

Post by apalopohapa »

The iOS app decrypts the files, saves them to disk, and then you have the option of deleting them. How are they actually deleted? My concern is that the plaintext deleted files could be recovered if the iOS device was stolen.
For example on Mac OS X, there is the "Secure Empty Trash" and the HDD sectors are claimed to be overwritten with junk. Is something like this done in the iOS app?
jasonf

Re: AES Crypt now Available in the Apple App Store for iOS

Post by jasonf »

In AES Crypt for iOS v1.0, the files are currently deleted using NSFileManager's removeItemAtPath, so there is the possibility a deleted file could potentially be recovered if the stolen phone had advanced file recovery techniques used.

You raise a good point. I am currently compiling a list of enhancements for the next version and I will add this to the list. It will be easy to overwrite the file with junk (defined by DoD 5220.22-M). In addition, an option to keep the saved file encrypted and prompt for the password each time the user wishes to open the file may be another useful feature.