Aescrypt Licensing

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
s.sec

Aescrypt Licensing

Post by s.sec »

Hi, I can't seem to find the licensing terms for the Windows Aescrypt, that is the software itself and source code... we are thinking of maybe distributing the Windows command line Aescrypt with our commercial software (closed source), is that allowed? Or they could download from your website... Can we download the Windows source code, recompile and distribute it with our commercial software if needed? thank you very much!
paulej

Re: Aescrypt Licensing

Post by paulej »

Part of the code is under GNU, which by the blood-sucking nature of GNU means that all of the code is. I will be working to get code with a less restrictive license, but don't have time now.

That said, you can certainly distribute it. The only restriction GNU imposes is that you can't integrate with it (eg, modify the source) without also sharing your source. That's what I don't like. I want you to be able to do anything you want.

If you're just distributing the binary as-is (including recompiled as-is without adding your own code), then you won't run afoul of the GNU terms, as I understand. You can just refer people to aescrypt.com for source or also distribute source.

Anyway, I will be finding freindler license terms by swapping out the encryption core, even if that means rewriting it from scratch. I just don't know when I'll have time, but you could certainly do that if you want. The only GNU code is aes.c/h and sha256.c/h, both of which can be easily replaced from code from OpenSSL or other project.