Error Encrypting Files When The Name Or Path Contains Spaces

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
RobDude

Error Encrypting Files When The Name Or Path Contains Spaces

Post by RobDude »

Just tried AES Crypt for the first time, it seems great. I'm running a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install.

I'm able to right-click and encrypt a file without any trouble - but only if the path doesn't contain any space characters. Same deal with the file name.

Can anyone tell me if I've done something incorrectly, or if this is a bug?
paulej

Re: Error Encrypting Files When The Name Or Path Contains Sp

Post by paulej »

If you're using the GUI, this might be a bug. The GUI just passes the filename to a script that executes the aescrypt binary. Something might get lost in translation. If you have a space in the path and see an issue, that's likely the problem.

If you're using the command line tool directly, it should work. But like any other command on Linux, you do have to put some pathname elements in quotes.
s.sec

Post by s.sec »

It works fine on Windows, just tested a path and a name with spaces.
paulej

Post by paulej »

s.sec wrote:It works fine on Windows, just tested a path and a name with spaces.
I would expect the Linux command line code to work, too. I think the issue is that the GUI front-ends the aescrypt binary and does not properly escape special characters. Spaces are the only thing that come to mind, though, that might cause a problem.
aasche

Post by aasche »

paulej wrote:If you're using the GUI, this might be a bug. The GUI just passes the filename to a script that executes the aescrypt binary. Something might get lost in translation. If you have a space in the path and see an issue, that's likely the problem.
It should be considered as a Linux-specific bug of aescrypt-gui 3.0.9 (and earlier?). As Perl coding experience is needed to solve it it may take some time.

See also: strange behaviour under linux
paulej

Post by paulej »

There's already a fix, but I haven't had the opportunity to integrate the fix. However, pigsflew is the author. Perhaps we might ask him just to post the modified Perl script until I get time to build a new package.

This is the one problem area that is bugging people. Let me see if I can get this done over the next few days.