Encrypted Containers?

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
toasty_s

Encrypted Containers?

Post by toasty_s »

In the wake of TrueCrypt's uncertainty, I'm searching for a possible alternative to the software, which has lead me here. Although in the meantime, bouncing between a Windows system and Linux I'll keep holding onto version 7.1a.

AES looks like it may be a great fit, but ultimately I'm after encrypted containers, and I'm not sure if AES Crypt does that. Or is AESC only meant to encrypt files and folders, where by an encrypted copy is created, which doesn't support on the fly decryption. I looked around the site and the forum, but didn't find any specific answers to those questions.

Thanks in advance!
paulej

Re: Encrypted Containers?

Post by paulej »

I'm the original author of AES Crypt and use it and TrueCrypt both. AES Crypt was written to encrypt files, not create containers. The scope of the code is deliberately narrow to keep the code simple.

I use AES Crypt every day to encrypt data files that get backed up to external storage. For my needs, it's great. But I also use TrueCrypt to encrypt USB drives that I use as external storage to my PC and carry around with me.

I will continue to use TrueCrypt for a while. Honestly, something smells fishy about the news. I saw what the site said, but to recommend people use encryption from Microsoft? That's really incredible and definitely does not address the needs of folks working cross-platform.

I just hope some more meaningful information comes out soon.
mahendra

Post by mahendra »

I have started using partial solution. I am letting windows users create a VHD file and then asking them to encrypt it using AES crypt before uploading to FTP. vdfuse is able to mount vhd files on latest versions of Linux. Since trucrypt is going to retied, this is an opportunity to enable container creation ability in AES crypt.
Last edited by mahendra on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulej

Post by paulej »

Honestly, I don't plan to stop using TrueCrypt. Until there is credible evidence that the container security is broken, there is no reason to assume it is.

I fully expect somebody to take over development of TrueCrypt, anyway. Adding container support is no small task and not something that should be done with AES Crypt. It really makes much more sense to revive the TrueCrypt project, even if it's under a different name.