Encrypted files exceeding 2GB using 32 bit systems

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
f.na

Encrypted files exceeding 2GB using 32 bit systems

Post by f.na »

Hi All,
I was wondering if there are know limitation in de-crypting big files within a 32bit OS.

I have downloaded an *.AES file (actually a zip volume 2.3GB size) but when I try to open it, applying the password, after the long extraction (hence the PWD is correct) has been completed I get the message "Message has been altered and should not be trusted."

Can I excluded it is due to the fact I'm doing this operation with a 32 bit OS? (Windows Vista business).
It would take ages for the guy to upload it again (and also for me to download BTW ;P) so I would like to double check this possibility.

In case I need the file to be uploaded again (the file was corrupted during the upload<->download) would you suggest to:
first zip then encrypt (as was done) or viceversa? I'm specifically concerned about data consistency (upload<->download) granted by the *zip/*rar files VS *.aes

Tnk!
paulej

Re: Encrypted files exceeding 2GB using 32 bit systems

Post by paulej »

I'm not sure why you see this issue. What file system type are you using? Is it FAT, NTFS, or something else?

If NTFS, it should be no problem. However, there might be a bug in the code, of course. I just can't recall anything off-hand that would keep a total count of octets, except for the progress bar. Failing to decrypt at the 2GB boundary sounds like either a FAT file system might be used, or there might be a 32 bit signed integer in the code that shouldn't be there.