Help installing AES Crypt on Linux Mint 17 Qiana

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
jon char

Help installing AES Crypt on Linux Mint 17 Qiana

Post by jon char »

After almost 20 years of windows I just recently 2 months ago been playing with Linux Distributions. Mostly just using the live versions on several USB flash drives. So far Iv'e had no problems booting on a variety of Laptops from Windows XP up to Windows 8. I am trying to understand Linux foundation or core if you will as it relates to windows. Mostly I see only a difference in the Distro's and DTE's. The fundamental being Unix and windows is just a variant. Also different repository structures between distro's. I decided to give Mint a go as the others I've tried were either Ubunto leaning to commercial interests, elementary lacking a software suite, Mepis x14 version is untidy and confusing.

I am 70 years old and really at this time and point in my life just interested in the basic operations of a Linux OS. I am very comfortable with Mint and have it installed on an older laptop with a dual hard drive. I have somewhat become keen with this repository concept with only one drawback. They have limited software availability compared to windows. I also like the idea of using the Terminal as long as one would know the correct command lines. I can not find AES Crypt in the depository so I am left with just 2 other options. Find a get/install command line to use to download AES Crypt or from the download location use the exe. to install. Would you be able to advise me In what direction to best acquire AES Crypt and get it installed properly. Perhaps direct me to a link where I can obtain a simple sudo get/install command line.

My only other questions regarding the AES Crypt product are as follows:

Can it be made into a self decrypt file within a zip folder.

If not can a portable version or a version installed within a usb flash drive be used to encrypt/decrypt files or folders.

Finally when a password is typed is the actual keystroke somehow erased or is it being stored in a cache or some other place that a possible adversary can locate.
Do you have any suggestions on how to perhaps implement a couple of nonsense bytes before and after a password so as to disguise it's actual string.

Lastly could you offer an honest thought about Your product. Would you be comfortable in recommending the use of AES Crypt in a closed society environment ie: restrictive Countries. As a confidential means of communication.
aasche

Re: Help installing AES Crypt on Linux Mint 17 Qiana

Post by aasche »

jon char wrote:I can not find AES Crypt in the depository so I am left with just 2 other options. Find a get/install command line to use to download AES Crypt or from the download location use the exe. to install. Would you be able to advise me In what direction to best acquire AES Crypt and get it installed properly. Perhaps direct me to a link where I can obtain a simple sudo get/install command line.
First obtain OS architekture:

Code: Select all

lscpu | grep op-mode
Then proceed:
  • 32-Bit:

wget https://www.aescrypt.com/download/v3/linux/AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86-Install.gz
    gunzip AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86-Install.gz
    chmod 755 AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86-Install
    sudo ./AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86-Install

• 64-Bit:

wget https://www.aescrypt.com/download/v3/linux/AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86_64-Install.gz
    gunzip AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86_64-Install.gz
    chmod 755 AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86_64-Install
    sudo ./AESCrypt-GUI-1.0-Linux-x86_64-Install

After installation there is another (more serious) problem: aescrypt-gui supports only Nautilus and Dolphin out-of-the-box. But Mint 17 uses Caja/Nemo as the default filemanager, right? So you will have to find someone else who helps with integrating en-/decryption in your preferred filemanager, sorry (or use aescrypt from command line).
jon char wrote:My only other questions regarding the AES Crypt product are as follows:
One question - one thread, please ;)