Installation issue

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
vdolcourt

Installation issue

Post by vdolcourt »

I'm not able to install because my system has a newer version of the Visual C++ libraries than is in the download. The Windows 32 download gave me only one choice: the setup file. I need to do an Windows 32 installation without installing the Visual C++ library. Can you please assist?
paulej

Re: Installation issue

Post by paulej »

There should have been a "readme" file in the ZIP file that explained that, when you get this error, just run the aescrypt.msi file. The setup.exe is there only to facilitate installation of missing Microsoft runtime files.
vdolcourt

Post by vdolcourt »

I don't know how to find aescrypt.msi. the only file that appeared was setup.
vdolcourt

Post by vdolcourt »

The two files in the Windows 32 download package are: install notes and setup. Please see attached snip
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.56 KiB) Viewed 16930 times
Is there a site from which I can download aescrypt.msi?

Thank you in advance.

Vic
paulej

Post by paulej »

That screen shot shows three files. The first is AESCrypt.msi. you can see the words "Windows Installer Package" out to the right. You're just not seeing the .msi extension on the file, as your machine is apparently configured to hide extensions of known file types.

But, it's that one you need to run.
scoubidou

Post by scoubidou »

On Windows XP, installation of AES Crypt with the setup.exe needs to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable and .NET 3.5 or 4.0 (better than 3.5) before. Installation with .msi only need .NET 3.5 or 4.0. On Windows 7, installation with .msi needs nothing. Would it be possible to have only one .msi installer for XP, 7 and newer, with downloading of .NET 4.0 only when necessary ?
It would be more convenient to install.

PS : I'm adding AES Crypt in next version of my Free Software compilation http://www.numopen.fr/compilibre-en
paulej

Post by paulej »

Yes, I agree. I'd like to have a single installer that will work for 32 and 64 bits, including only the C++ code necessary from Microsoft. Better, perhaps statically linked.

This is on the to-do list, but I never have time to get around to it.