aescrypt not working under windows 7 explorer

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
jay77000

aescrypt not working under windows 7 explorer

Post by jay77000 »

1. Installed aescrypt on windows 7 no problem. Right-click on a file but explorer menu does not show "aes encryp" as a selection
2. Tried encripting by drag and drop file onto AESCrypt32 executable, it fails with "Invalid signature".

3. Ran aescrypt in console mode and it works every time, both encrypt and decrypt. Went back to explorer mode and clicked on the encrypted file and it decrypts fine.

4. Installed on my tablet with windows 8 and the aes encript selection shows when I right click on a file and all functions work fine.

Any ideas?
paulej

Re: aescrypt not working under windows 7 explorer

Post by paulej »

If you don't see the option to encrypt a file, then there are two possible problems.

The most likely problem is that you installed the wrong version. If you're running a 64 bit OS, you must install the 64 bit version. Likewise, if you're using a 32 bit OS, you need to install the 32 bit version. On Windows 7, you can determine the 32/64-bit value but looking at the property page for "computer" on the start menu.

The other possibly if you're running the 32 bit version on a 32 bit machine is that the latest build has a problem. I'm using the 64 bit version, so I know it works.

Can you check what OS you're using and what AES Crypt version you installed?
jay77000

Re: aescrypt not working under windows 7 explorer

Post by jay77000 »

Yep, i had installed the 32bit version on the windows 64bit system. It works perfect now, just like on windows 8. Thank you for the instant response, I found it refreshing in this day and age.
This is an awesome product, i like simple. Keep up the good work.
Joe