Virus

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
scoubidou

Virus

Post by scoubidou »

Hello,

3 antivirus are finding a virus in AEScrypt :
https://www.virustotal.com/fr/file/1a82 ... 434574269/
paulej

Re: Virus

Post by paulej »

Some antivirus software does report AES Crypt as potential malware. We worked with some antivirus companies to address this, but some make it incredibly hard to reach them when you're not a customer.

Anyway, you'll note none call AES Crypt a virus. It's labeled as suspicious, etc. What happened is that people creating ransomware software (malware used to encrypt files and extort victims to decrypt those files) used our software as the engine to carry out their misdeed. That resulted in our software being inappropriately classified by some AV software makers.

To be sure you do have clean software, you can check the hash of the download file against the PGP-signed file linked at the bottom of the page. It's signed with my PGP key.
scoubidou

Post by scoubidou »

Or perhaps the same problem than with DVDstyler ? Its author solved it with a new version of InnoSetup : https://sourceforge.net/p/dvdstyler/bugs/617/
paulej

Post by paulej »

Likely, the new setup changed the package to a point that the signature the virus scanner was detecting isn't there now.

In any case, I'm using Microsoft's setup tool presently. Also, I think most or all of the warnings are cleared now. The virus scanner guys -- at least those that provide contact info -- are good at accepting my feedback and then clearing the false detections. Some, like Smith Micro, did not provide contact info when I looked. In any case, it's not worth it to chase down every package.