Application not starting in Yosemite (10.10.5)

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
benjsmith123

Application not starting in Yosemite (10.10.5)

Post by benjsmith123 »

New user here with a fresh install. This Macbook is only about 30 days old so there aren't many apps that I have installed.

AEScrypt installed successfully (after the security/app signing warning). Click on padlock icon and it quickly disappears. In the console is the following errors:

9/13/15 10:51:01.721 PM applet[10400]: NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.

I've looked through the forum and googled a few iterations of the error, no help. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben
paulej

Re: Application not starting in Yosemite (10.10.5)

Post by paulej »

Did you put the padlock on the dock as the user guide explains? Usually, that's the problem. You can't just click on the lock. Rather, you have to drag and drop files onto the lock icon when it's sitting on the dock.
RichT

Post by RichT »

Hello,

Can I just check on Mac OS (El Capitan) that when you click on the dock icon, you aren't meant to get a contextual menu?

The program works great by dragging and dropping (as above) but I notice when I click on the icon I very briefly see the top menu bar (i.e. Safari ... File ... Edit ... View etc) change to "AES Crpyt ... File ... Edit etc for a split second then change back again. Is that the intended behaviour, or should that menu bar remain?

As a side note, I notice the .aes filetype is open, are any other programs currently able to read .aes files made in AES Crypt?

Many thanks for a great app,
R.
paulej

Post by paulej »

There's no context menu on Mac, only Windows. The .aes file type can be read by any version of AES Crypt on Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS.
RichT

Post by RichT »

Ok thanks. And thank you to those involved in writing the software!

The reason I was wondering if any other programs could open .aes files is because I'm a bit nervous of using a proprietary encryption file type in case that particular program stopped being supported and you upgraded your OS and it stopped working?

I love the idea of an open source encryption standard so you could use another application to recover your files in that instance. Or is that daft?
paulej

Post by paulej »

The file formats for all versions are openly published. The source code is open. I wrote the Windows code and substantially contributed to the Linux code. However, there are php versions, C# versions, and at least one Java version written by different people.

Your concern is actually one reason I wrote the code and made it available for free as open source. I want a tool I can guarantee will be around.