invalid signature

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
Valerio191

invalid signature

Post by Valerio191 »

Hello,

a few months ago I have used AES Crypt on my Windows 7 computer. When Windows 10 is published, I formatted my computer and saved my encrypted files for importing into Windows 10th

The import was still working, and the password is correct also. Unfortunately I´m getting the error "invalid signature" when trying to decrypt the files .

Both on the Windows 7 system and on the Windows 10 system, I use the x64 version of the operating system. AES Crypt is also x64.

How to get back the unencrypted content of my data?
Attachments
aes crypt - error.PNG
aes crypt - error.PNG (3.37 KiB) Viewed 13027 times
paulej

Re: invalid signature

Post by paulej »

AES Crypt does not produce a message like that directly. What it appears to be is that AES Crypt tried to read the file, but failed and printed the error message given by the operating system for why the read operation failed.

By chance, is that location where the .aes file is stored an Encrypted File System (EFS) volume? Can you copy and paste that file to your desktop? Can you attempt to open it in "notepad" to see if you get the same error? (Don't save it from notepad, because you'll corrupt the file. But, it should open up the file. Just try it on a copy of the file.)
Valerio191

Post by Valerio191 »

Thank you for the fast feedback. I uploaded two pictures.
Picture 1: File opened with notepad (error exists on usb stick which was crypted with bitdefender and also exists on ssd which is not crypted with bitdefender or other crypting software)
Picture 3: another file (txt instead of docx) which has the same error

It was possible to copy all files to desktop / ssd / or back to crypted usb stick.
I have two versions of all files. All files are with the same error regardless of whether the disk is encrypted or not.

Don´t know how to deal with this problem.

Thank you again for your help.
Attachments
TXT File has the same error
TXT File has the same error
3.PNG (3.19 KiB) Viewed 12978 times
File opened with notepad
File opened with notepad
1.PNG (46.88 KiB) Viewed 12978 times
paulej

Post by paulej »

That's helpful. It doesn't look like an AES Crypt file. The first three characters of the file should be AES. There are other human readable bits of data in the header that should be visible.

I'm wondering if what you're saying is the encrypted data of a Windows encrypted file system file?