iOS Re-Encrypt Flow - How to return to Dropbox

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
ahassenklover

iOS Re-Encrypt Flow - How to return to Dropbox

Post by ahassenklover »

I am able to Encrypt a .md (markdown) document on Windows, upload it to Dropbox, download it to iPhone on iOS (version 9.0.2) and move the document to AES Crypt where its decrypted. I then can move it to the Editorial app which lets you edit .md files.

My problem now is I don't know the reverse flow to go from the edited file in Editorial back to AESCrypt and re-encrypt with a password returning the encrypted file back to Dropbox. I don't even know if its possible if I buy the full version for $1.99. Could you tell me if its possible? If it is it would be nice to show a second graphic as you have on your Help screen on AES Crypt for iOS.

There is also the ability to write scripts in Editorial but I have not investigated this too much to see if I can use them to return the file to AES Crypt.

Thanks for any info...
Anne-Lise
jasonf

Re: iOS Re-Encrypt Flow - How to return to Dropbox

Post by jasonf »

Yes, the reverse flow is possible with the upgrade (In-App Purchase) as long as your Editorial App has the ability to send your .md file [back] to AESCrypt via the standard iOS "Open-In" menu.

You can test this before actually purchasing the upgrade. Hopefully, you should already see AESCrypt as an "Open-In" option in your Editorial App for your .md file. Once you select it, your .md file will be sent to AESCrypt and you will be prompted the upgrade is necessary before encryption can be done. If your app does not have the "Open-In" option for documents or if you do not see AESCrypt in your Editorial App's "Open-In" list, the upgrade will not help you.

After the upgrade, performing the "Open-In" of your .md file in your Editorial App will:
  • Switch to AESCrypt
  • Put the .md file in the Decrypted Files section of the main list
  • Prompt for an encryption password
  • Encrypt the file and
  • Put the .md.aes file in the Encrypted Files section of the main list
At this point, you may tap/touch the encrypted file in the list and select "Send to Another iOS App" from the menu and then choose "Copy to Dropbox".

Yes the Help screen in AESCrypt should be updated to document this reverse flow. I will make a note to do this in the next update.
ahassenklover

Post by ahassenklover »

Thanks for your reply. I have not seen an Open In App menu item for the files. I asked the owner of Editorial if there is a way to do this. I may have to investigate other editors.
ahassenklover

Post by ahassenklover »

The creator of Editorial Ole Zorn provided a Workflow for Open In that allowed me to move my document to AESCrypt. I purchased the upgrade and the reverse flow now works. Thanks for your help.