AES Crypt password lost! Please Help!

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
mazzaneo

AES Crypt password lost! Please Help!

Post by mazzaneo »

Hi Guys,

I purchased 6 bitcoin for a friend 6 months ago and handed him an encypted wallet file made using AES Crypt.
I also gave him the password either in writing or in a text message of which neither of us can remember what it was!

I have tried numerous combinations but cant find the correct code. Is there any way possible that I can crack this password, even if it is only just one or 2 of the letters, is there anything we can do?

Thanks guys
paulej

Re: AES Crypt password lost! Please Help!

Post by paulej »

The only option is to brute-force attack it. There are no weaknesses nor backdoors in AES Crypt, so that file will be sealed forever without the password.

But, if you have a rough idea what the password might be, I could try to help. As you can imagine, this isn't the first such request I've had. People do forget passwords sometimes.

I'd have to have the original file or just the first 256 octets of the file. I don't need the entire file if you know how to give me just the first part. The password is used to encrypt a key inside the file. I just need to crack that key that sits encrypted with your password at the head of the file.

I'd also need to have some idea of the password, such as words used, possible prefixes or suffixes, etc. What I would do is iterate over all possible combinations within that subset of possibilities.

Success will depend entirely on having some reasonable set of guesses. There's no practical way of trying every possible password, since that could take billions of years to crack.

I can't work on it right now, but if you'll send it to me via email, I'll take up the challenge as time permits. Maybe this weekend?
mazzaneo

Re: AES Crypt password lost! Please Help!

Post by mazzaneo »

Hi Paulj,

OMG that would be awesome...!

Sending you an email now.

Thanks!