Does AESCrypt also work with strings?

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
multibobwork

Does AESCrypt also work with strings?

Post by multibobwork »

Hi,

I see the API is designed to work with encrypting and decrypting files. Can it also work with strings. If so can you point me to the API documentation for Java.

Thanks,

- Bob
paulej

Re: Does AESCrypt also work with strings?

Post by paulej »

Bob,

Which API? There's a string encryption API that only handles strings, but can be used to write out files that can be decrypted with any version of AES Crypt. But, it will only decrypt files of "format 0".

Then there is C# and Java code intended for integration with other apps. Check the license, though. I'm not sure what those licenses are for commercial products.

There's no other documentation than what's in the download. Might require reading the code.
multibobwork

Post by multibobwork »

Hi,

The API is called es.vocali.util.AESCrypt. It appears it does not work with strings on in and out files. Also the constructor says it takes a password string. Appears to be using a password to encrypt and decrypt the contents of a file. So it appears a keyfile is not supported by Java is this correct. We use Java and would like to generate a keyfile and use this keyfile to encrypt and decrypt strings which it appears need to be inside of a file.

Regards,

- Bob
paulej

Post by paulej »

You'd definitely have to write key file logic yourself. Once that's done, everything else should work fine. There's a complete tool for reading and writing encrypted files that you can look at.