AES Crypt for Linux 3.11 Released

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
paulej

AES Crypt for Linux 3.11 Released

Post by paulej »

I published version 3.11 of the Linux versions of AES Crypt. There are no new features, but just bug fixes for both the GUI and the command-line interface. For the GUI, there were issues when spaces existed in the pathname. The command-line version did not properly work with non-ASCII passwords on some platforms.

As always, the new versions are available from https://www.aescrypt.com/download/.
evert

Re: AES Crypt for Linux 3.11 Released

Post by evert »

Thanks.

However, when I downloaded the 32bit version for Linux it shows a question mark and I don’t seem able to install it. Could there be something wrong with the file?

Regards
paulej

Post by paulej »

Right-click on the file and change the permissions so that you can execute it. From the command line, you would want to change the permission to something like "chmod 755 filename" (where "filename" is the name of the file you downloaded).
evert

Post by evert »

Thanks, that did the trick.

I did not remember having to that with the older version, but that does not mean much, my memory is not infallible.
paulej

Post by paulej »

I would have to see exactly how I packaged it last time, but maybe I used tar. That would have preserved the execution permissions.

I switched this time, because others had trouble with the extraction or decompression, and I distinctly recall at least one person having a permission issue, too.

Maybe I'll go back to tar next time. I want to make it easy, and I'm not sure what is best in this case.