iOS improvements

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
Ummagumma

iOS improvements

Post by Ummagumma »

AESCrypt is easy to use on the desktop, but entering passwords for every single file on the iOS is a pain.

Most people would use the same password when encrypting a number of related files in the same directory (e.g. bank statements).

It would speed things up tremendously if there was an option for a user to enter a password when starting a session, and then using TouchID to encrypt or decrypt files using that password, with a timeout reset.
Ummagumma

Re: iOS improvements

Post by Ummagumma »

Wow, this post was a huge success...
jasonf

Re: iOS improvements

Post by jasonf »

I agree entering the password for every single file is a bit of a pain. At the same time, storing passwords is also a bit dangerous from a security point of view. However if the feature it is optional, that might make everyone happy.

I did start prototyping an update to AESCrypt for iOS in mid 2017 that has this exact feature you are requesting. In fact, it lets you store multiple passwords from which you can select which one to use for a particular encryption and decryption operation. The passwords are stored in the iOS secure Keystore. I had to push this work to the back-burner due to some other projects.

I have received other feedback which I want to address in this next version as well. Examples are: Selecting multiple files in the app for encryption/decryption operations and better support for the new iOS11 features such as file provider/multi-tasksing/drag and drop.

I cannot promise an update date right now, but hopefully sometime early to mid 2018 I will release a AESCrypt for iOS 3.0 version.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delayed response.