Compatibility with ccrypt?

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
oxident

Compatibility with ccrypt?

Post by oxident »

Hi!

Sorry if this question sounds a little bit "dumb" but could AES Crypt be used (or modified) to produce an encryption decryptable by the widely used ccrypt tool?
paulej

Re: Compatibility with ccrypt?

Post by paulej »

Anything is possible, but these two utilities produce file formats that are different. So, one would have to modify the source code of one package or the other to be compatible.
oxident

Post by oxident »

Good point ;)

It seems to me that there aren't so much differences between these "file formats" but somehow, ccrypt uses a different algorithm to generate the key. Besides of this, ccrypt adds some kind of validation block at the beginning of its output.

Well, I see what I can do but unfortunately, ccrypt's sources are way too "professional" for me...
paulej

Post by paulej »

AES Crypt also has a validation block (called a MAC) at the end. It's at the end, because we want to be able to support streaming modes. If the MAC was at the beginning, it would require the software to seek to the start of the file after writing all cipher text.

Anyway, I'm sure there are many subtle differences like that.