Can't install AESCrypt on windows 8.1 or Windows 10

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
rolandgaboury

Can't install AESCrypt on windows 8.1 or Windows 10

Post by rolandgaboury »

We're getting the following errors when attempting to install aescrypt on a windows 8.1 machine:

Please resolve the following:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistribution Setup
Setup has detected that the this computer does not meet the requirement to install this software:
A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.

Also

Component Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x64) has failed to install with the following error message:
"Asia"

The following components failed to install:
- Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x64)

I'm told that this happens with both the 32 bit and 64bit versions. Suggestions?
paulej

Re: Can't install AESCrypt on windows 8.1 or Windows 10

Post by paulej »

There is a "readme" file included in the ZIP file that explains this.

Rather than running setup.exe, just run aescrypt.msi.
Miker1029

Post by Miker1029 »

I've also have this problem on Windows 10, I did as the readme instructed and installed the .msi, when I went to encrypt I get a pop up window that says:

An error occurred applying attributes to the file:

{The directory location}

The request is not supported.

Then I ran the setup exe downloaded the C++ file and got the same error as the OP....

Any Idea??

Mike
encrypterror.gif
encrypterror.gif (24.25 KiB) Viewed 27224 times
paulej

Post by paulej »

I have no idea what this "applying attributes to the file" message means. AES Crypt does not attempt to manipulate file attributes whatsoever. Internally, the only thing it does is open the input file, open an output file, read the input file, encrypt it, and write it to the output file.

I wonder if there is some other process running doing something odd?

As for setup.exe on Windows 10, you'll definitely get that error. It's to be expected. AES Crypt is built against older Windows libraries and those older ones are included in the setup.exe file for those who do not have them. Newer machines (most Windows 7, and all Windows 8, 8.1, and 10) have them already, so only aescrypt.msi is needed.

"One of these days..." I'll create a different installer that avoids this confusion, but dealing with installers can be even more headache than explaining the issue and the solution :)
Miker1029

Post by Miker1029 »

I pretty much knew the setup wouldn't do anything but with the error I figured why the hell nor. I did notice in whin 10 its back to asking for admin permissions. Maybe that could be it as I ran the command line version and it worked perfect...

Hope it helps.

Mike
paulej

Post by paulej »

Were you trying to encrypt a file in a protected directory? For example, something in c:\Windows or similar? AES Crypt itself doesn't throw up a dialog box like that, but maybe Windows will? In theory, the attempt to just open the output file should have failed if you didn't have write permission in that directory.

I'm at a loss. I've never seen this, but if I can reproduce it, maybe I can find a solution.
Miker1029

Post by Miker1029 »

Maybe, Usually do everything on the desktop, But I'll drop it over to e: and see what happens... Just Upgraded to Win 10 so no telling what goofy crap it does 8-)
Miker1029

Post by Miker1029 »

Ya that's the problem, Worked fine On a Different drive, Sorry about that!! New to Win 10, No Just gotta figure out how to get rid of that crap.....

Thanks for your time,

Mike
paulej

Post by paulej »

I'm now running Windows 10, too, and don't have this issue. I have the same package installed that everyone else does, so I'd expect to see the same issues.

Are you an administrator on your machine, or are your rights limited? It sounds like some kind of permission issue, but one I've never seen. It would annoy me not to be able to use the desktop.

That said, Windows 10 is really a topic of its own. It's software in continual improvement. Not because they are introducing new features, but because the stuff they shipped wasn't really finished in the first place.

And it's funny, because Microsoft blasted Google in advertising for constantly changing their software and now Microsoft has adopted the same process.
Miker1029

Post by Miker1029 »

LOL Right, You hit the Nail on the head there, as the forum I run Is based on Android-X86 Project (Android for Desktops/Laptops/Tabs/Etc) And NO Doubt Lollipop is unfinished!!!

To Answer the original question, I Did the UPGRADE, not the clean install, But on win 7 yes I Had Administrator set for Any and Everything I wanted to do.... SOO, Guess I'll have to dig around the system a see what I can find to resolve the issue...

Realize this might be off topic but it might help someone down the line with the same issue....