Crypt the file itself

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
johnmcloud

Crypt the file itself

Post by johnmcloud »

Hi,
I just like to know if is possible, using Windows command line, to crypt directly the original file instead of create a new crypted file. Yes i know all the possible behavior of this choice for this reason i'm asking for the command line, maybe using pipe? Dunno. If actually is not possible, take this post like a feature request i don't think require so much of work, like additional parameter.
paulej

Re: Crypt the file itself

Post by paulej »

It's not possible and dangerous. If it failed, the original would be lost forever. It would be possible to encrypt to a temporary file, then replace the original with the temporary file. You'd get the same effect. But why add that as a feature when it can be easily scripted?
johnmcloud

Post by johnmcloud »

I know all the possible risk. Why is not possible? All the ransom ware (ok wrong example but is the first come in mind) don't leave a copy of the original or delete the original* but crypt the original itself and AES is one of the algorithm used by them.
*for this reason using recovery software is a useless try
paulej

Post by paulej »

I bet the ransomware encryts files into a temp file and then replaces the original when done. I don't mean to say it's technically not possible, but a read or write error could destroy the original file forever. That's an unacceptable risk, IMO.
johnmcloud

Post by johnmcloud »

I'm not sure about the temp folder. For what i have read all the operation are in memory and at the end they just replace the original content of the file with the encrypted one. No file delete, no possibily to recover the original file except for shadow copies, if are enabled. I can understand you point of view.