iOS

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
david

iOS

Post by david »

Hello,

I'm using iPhone 6S with iOS 10.1.1, AESCrypt for iOS 2.2
I have a Seagate PersonalCloud which contains files encrypted via AESCrypt and non-encrypted files. I use the SeagateMedia app to access the files.
When I select in the SeagateMedia app any non-encrypted file and tap on "Import with AESCrypt" the file is imported properly in the "Decrypted Files" section.
When I select in the SeagateMedia app any encrypted file and tap on "Import with AESCrypt" nothing happens.

Is this a bug? Can you help me fix that?

Cheers,
David
jasonf

Re: iOS

Post by jasonf »

Hi David,

I do not have any Seagate hardware devices to use for testing, but I downloaded the SeagateMedia App to my iPhone 6+ (10.0.2). I discovered the Seagate App allowed me to use local "Folders" in the app without any hardware devices. I was able to successfully send both encrypted and non-encrypted files from the Seagate App to AESCrypt. I was also able to successfully send both file types to the Seagate App from AESCrypt. When selecting "Import with AESCrypt" on an encrypted file in the Seagate app, iOS launched AESCrypt and prompted me for a password. I could not reproduce your issue.

A few questions for you...

-Can you try importing the encrypted the file to another app (such as Dropbox, etc) from the Seagate App. Does this work?

-Are you trying to "Import with AESCrypt" from a Seagate external hardware device directly? If yes, can you try to "Import with AESCrypt" from the the Seagate App's local folder like I did?

-Are you able to import encrypted files from other apps (such as Dropbox, etc) to AESCrypt?

-Has this ever worked for you (i.e. in a previous version of iOS, AESCrypt or SeagateMedia) or are you trying this for the first time?

-As a last resort, you could try to uninstall and reinstall both AESCrypt and SeagateMedia. Maybe this will fix the problem.

I will upgrade my iPhone to 10.1.1 later tonight to see if something changed since 10.0.2.

Thanks
david

Re: iOS

Post by david »

Hi jasonf

Thanks for quick reply. It is the first time I use AESCrypt, so I don't know if it is a bad combination.
I copied an encrypted file to the local folder and then used "import with AESCrypt" from the Seagate app and it worked fine.

I'm not sure why there is a different behavior, but at least I got a workaround.
I didn't try with another cloud app, but I can if it helps you out figure out the issue.

Thanks,
David