AESCrypt for MacOS Sierra

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
newuser

AESCrypt for MacOS Sierra

Post by newuser »

In light of recent events I have downloaded this program. Once I select it from my applications folder, it briefly flashes its response (a flicker in the menu bar) and nothing. It will do this as many times as I try to open the program. The operating system, v.10.12.1, is fairly recent so I'm assuming this is the culprit. How soon do updates for AESCrypt usually happen? Thanks.
paulej

Re: AESCrypt for MacOS Sierra

Post by paulej »

Updates are rare, since I don't fix things unless they're broken.

If you run the binary from the command line, does it produce output? Find the directory with "aescrypt" inside and try to type "./aescrypt" in that directory. It should provide usage information. If not, I'd like to know what error you see.
jasonf

Post by jasonf »

It works fine on macOS Sierra (10.12.1) for me.

Just double clicking the app icon is not the proper way to run it on a mac. The instructions on this page may help..

https://www.aescrypt.com/mac_aes_crypt.html
The best way to use the tool is to drag the AESCrypt application to the Dock and drop files to be encrypted on it. To decrypt, find the file in the same directory where the original file was located, which will have an AESCrypt Icon associated with it and double click it.
Pellucid

Post by Pellucid »

I am using MacOS 20.12.3. I purchased AESCrypt for iOS. I used it to upload files to a (hopefully) secure server. Then I downloaded AESCrypt for MacOS (the recommended version). After installing the app, when I double-clicked on it, it just bounced many times in the dock and then stopped. On succeeding attempts it just immediately opened and quit. It seems from previous posts that this version no longer works with MACOS Sierra.
paulej

Post by paulej »

Some users report problems, but each time I investigate, it turns out to be a mistake in using it. Of course, any day Apple can change something that causes it to break.

Did you put the lock icon on the dock? Did you drag and drop files onto the lock on the dock?
sseefried

Post by sseefried »

I'm having the same problem on Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

I run the app and it flashes for a moment and then shuts down. I received the following data in the Console app.

19/05/2017 10:56:39.098 AM launchservicesd[87]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
19/05/2017 10:56:39.103 AM launchservicesd[87]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
19/05/2017 10:56:39.106 AM WindowServer[227]: send_datagram_available_ping: pid 1023 failed to act on a ping it dequeued before timing out.
19/05/2017 10:56:39.169 AM applet[39850]: NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
19/05/2017 10:56:39.170 AM applet[39850]: NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
19/05/2017 10:56:39.173 AM appleeventsd[55]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22

I have tried to run the command from the command line and it seems to work just fine:

Error: No file argument specified

usage: aescrypt {-e|-d} [-p <password>] { [-o <output filename>] <file> | <file> [<file> ...] }
paulej

Post by paulej »

And you're dragging and dropping the file to be encrypted or decrypted onto the lock icon placed on the dock?