Offer to help with AESCrypt Deb/Ubuntu support

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
pigsflew

Offer to help with AESCrypt Deb/Ubuntu support

Post by pigsflew »

Hi,

I've been a long time user of AxCrypt but (A) That codebase seems abandoned, (B) it seems like there might be adware inserted in its installer (I did not verify this), and (C) it isn't cross-platform. I'm looking to switch on my home desktop back to Ubuntu, and with that change I will be adopting AESCrypt.

I would like to build and maintain a PPA to contain an AESCrypt binary deb package for Ubuntu.

If effort has already been made toward a deb/ppa, I would like to help. If not, I'd love permission to get one started, and any input you might have into how you'd prefer the package organized and built by default.

Thanks!
-Pigsflew
paulej

Re: Offer to help with AESCrypt Deb/Ubuntu support

Post by paulej »

Everything we have on Linux is posted online. Doug Reed put together the current Linux GUI code, while I work on the command-line code. (Of course, others have contributed along the way.)

Last year, Alon Bar-Lev provided me with some autoconf code to make building on different Unix machines easier. I still have the code, but I've not interested it. He maintains the package on Gentoo.

In any case, any help is welcome. Ping me via email and we can talk about what you want to do in more detail. I've got a large list of to-do items, but package maintenance hasn't even made my list. So, it would be good to have someone who has some skill and interest there.
pigsflew

Post by pigsflew »

I will get in touch via email then :)

I really appreciate the work you've done on this tool. Thanks!
aasche

Post by aasche »

If somebody prefers an unofficial PPA for installing:
aasche

Post by aasche »

PPA is still up but only LTS versions are supported (14.04, 16.04). I'll try to add 18.04 later this year.