linux mint19.3

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
rn1357968

linux mint19.3

Post by rn1357968 »

Hi,
I am new to linux mint, and am having problems making the executable with what I downloaded from AES's site.

my src folder is in a folder called aescrypt-3.14, which itself is in a folder called "aes" and that in a folder called "downloads".

so that I may get this important utility (i have just migrated from win 7) up and running while I learn terminal commands, and insofar as I have tried syntax which is not working, would someone be so kind as to tell me exactly what commands I need to give to create this executable from the source code?

much appreciated.
robert
paulej

Re: linux mint19.3

Post by paulej »

If you're trying to install the command-line tools, to build it you just need to run "make" and "make install". You'll need to have make and gcc installed for that to work.
rn1357968

Post by rn1357968 »

so, do i need to be in terminal mode in that source directory when i run the commands?

IOW, from root, it is a series of "CD" commands until I get there?
many thanks
paulej

Post by paulej »

To do a "make" to build, yes. If installing the GUI package with the installer, you just need to insure the execute bit is set and then run it from the file manager. All of that can be done from within the file manager.
rn1357968

Post by rn1357968 »

paul, hi,

I am sorry to be back again, but no matter what I do...and I have attempted to follow your instructions....I cannot get this to install.

at risk of repeating, and I am new at linux, so I must be missing something, still...or this mint 19.3 is working differently than whatever distro you use, yourself.......i have a folder called "aes" (all lower case) into which I placed the linux file I downloaded from your site. it has in it, another folder entitled:

AESCrypt-GUI-3.11-Linux-x86_64-Install.gz

when i use Mint's "archive manager", which it wants to default to, to extract, i end up with:

AESCrypt-GUI-3.11-Linux-x86_64-Install
both icons have locks on them, and nothing I do even recognizes the second name above, I assume as it has no suffix.

I have tried the "make" command as you suggested but only get an error, and "yes" I am in the right directory when I attempt to run that in terminal.

before I go crazy, how about revisiting this with me, please.

many thanks.
paulej

Post by paulej »

You only need to use "make" if installing from source code. That file is a pre-compiled GUI package. For that, you just run it. However, you need to ensure the "execute" (X) bit is set in the file attributes.

You can do that at the command line by typing:

Code: Select all

chmod 755 AESCrypt-GUI-3.11-Linux-x86_64-Install
Or within the file browser, right click on the file and choose the file properties and set the execute bit.
rn1357968

Post by rn1357968 »

much appreciated. i will give it all another try.

if nothing else, my persistence is a measure of how much i want to use this<g>
paulej

Post by paulej »

rn1357968 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:30 am much appreciated. i will give it all another try.

if nothing else, my persistence is a measure of how much i want to use this<g>
:D