Delete Input File

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
freecr1

Delete Input File

Post by freecr1 »

I hope this is an obvious and stupid question, but I'd like to confirm anyway,

When encypting or decyrpting,

When the delete input file is checked....

Is that file totally deleted (shredded, written over) or is just it's address/pointer removed and could potentially be recovered? Obviously I could choose to not check the box and then use a shredding program on the original file but I like the idea of ticking the box better (assuming it gets overwritten). Yes, I'm lazy.

freecr
paulej

Re: Delete Input File

Post by paulej »

The Windows, Linux, and Mac versions don't offer an option to delete the file. I assume this is iOS or Android?

The reason there is no automatic delete or even an option is that on most flash/SSD file storage systems, you actually cannot erase a file. Writing over it actually results in writing data to another part of the drive. Modern storage systems do that to extend the life of drives.

Regardless of the tool, never assume the data is truly erased or "shredded". That's only guaranteed with traditional magnetic disk drives.
freecr1

Re: Delete Input File

Post by freecr1 »

Thank you for the speedy reply and informative answer. Yes, it was regarding the Android app.