"invalid byte sequence" error on mac M1

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
thatman

"invalid byte sequence" error on mac M1

Post by thatman »

Hi !
I have installed AEScrypt on my macbook air M1 (macOS Ventura), it is working good, only for one thing : if the password I enter contains a character like "é" it will send me this error "invalid byte sequence". I think this has to do with the encoding language ? How can I fix this ? :roll:
paulej

Re: "invalid byte sequence" error on mac M1

Post by paulej »

Quite possibly the character conversion logic is broken. Characters must be converted from the input language into UTF-16LE. I'm not sure if the issue is related to Apple Script or the aescrypt binary itself.

You could test that by running the aescrypt command from the command line, if you know how.
thatman

Post by thatman »

Well I thought I knew how to do this, but after trying, I can say that its not the case :lol: :lol:
paulej

Post by paulej »

It's hard to explain if you don't know how. But, it works exactly the same way as on Linux.

I'll try to have a look at this myself, but I'm a bit busy at the moment. For now, I'd suggest just using only ASCII characters.
thatman

Post by thatman »

Okay, thank you for the answer! I'll try some things