[suggestion] Add "View only" option to Windows' GUI

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
Winfried

[suggestion] Add "View only" option to Windows' GUI

Post by Winfried »

Hello,

I often need to simply copy data from a text file into the clipboard, with no need to edit the original file.

In that case, 1) right-clicking on the .aes file, 2) decrypting it, 3) opening the file with a relevant application, 4) copying the data into the clipboard, 5) pasting it elsewhere, and 5) deleting the plain text file… could be simplified by adding a "Display content" option in AES' Windows context menu to show data in a simple, read-only, pop-up window.

Cheers,
59E47063-5A3D-4611-A2B1-FB8864B89D74.png
59E47063-5A3D-4611-A2B1-FB8864B89D74.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
paulej

Re: [suggestion] Add "View only" option to Windows' GUI

Post by paulej »

That's an interesting idea, though you know nothing is ever trivial. I'm sure I'd need a scrollbar, find feature, etc.

One thing I do is have a script that outputs encrypted data to the terminal window. That idea is similar to what you want to do here, which could definitely benefit from a search function.

What I personally do for things like passwords is put "service names" (password looking things) in a text file, then use Single Pass to get the actual password.

Anyway, what you want is a useful idea. It's just likely going to be more complicated than it sounds. We also have to deal with user error of doing that on massive binary files.
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

I looked at KeePass before giving up because the passwords I have were previously in a free-flow text file, and too much work to turn contents into neat columns ready to be imported into KeePass. In that case, AES Crypt/Decrypt + TXT file is a good alternative.
paulej

Post by paulej »

Yeah, I run into the same issues. Further, I simply don't trust storing password data on the internet unless I personally encrypted it. That is, I don't put trust in any password manager, because I cannot guarantee they don't get hacked.

Some might actually do all of the encryption locally and push an encrypted file to the cloud. That would work, so long as one doesn't make changes from two separate devices. Doing that would create a conflict they could only resolve via merging files. If the file merge is done locally, fine. But, that starts to become a complex process that's prone to error.

That's why I went the direction of Single Pass. No data is stored. It has its negatives (e.g., relying on passwords on your head), but I'm ok with it since it effectively creates a two key system (what's in my head and what's in my secrets file).

Maybe I might tackle this password manager problem more directly, but I'll be honest in saying none truly will ever work for me since I refuse to store a password in plaintext in any system. :) So I might create something like Single Pass, but also being a tool that stores those "service names". The biggest challenge is paying development costs.

One of the attractions of AES Crypt is that is free. I'd like to do much more with it, but I can't devote much time right now as free doesn't pay the bills.