SIP is not an emerging protocol

Discussion related to the Session Initiation Protocol
paulej

SIP is not an emerging protocol

Post by paulej »

Why is it that after 14 years since the first publication of the SIP Internet Draft is it that people continue to refer to SIP as an "emerging" protocol? 14 years!?!?!

I herewith declare that SIP is NOT am emerging protocol.
rodssmith

Re: SIP is not an emerging protocol

Post by rodssmith »

Now, the SIP trunking is the most emerging Technology, and it is used in business as well.
Thanks
paulej

Post by paulej »

rodssmith wrote:Now, the SIP trunking is the most emerging Technology, and it is used in business as well.
Thanks
Nobody disputes its use, but SIP is not "emerging". Neither is SIP trunking. More and more businesses might be adopting it, but that does not make it emerging. SIP has been around for 15 years! It is ancient technology now.

What is "emerging"? Web-based telephony protocols like the work in the IETF working group "RTC Web" and W3C's "Web RTC", as well as multi-device communication systems like the ITU's "Advanced Multimedia System". All of those are currently being defined and, with any luck, will start to be deployed over the next few years. That's emerging.
rodssmith

Post by rodssmith »

Thanks paulej for this information so what about VOIP Protocol , what would you say about voip technology?
paulej

Post by paulej »

rodssmith wrote:Thanks paulej for this information so what about VOIP Protocol , what would you say about voip technology?
VoIP in general is widely deployed now. It has become the standard technology used within virtually every larger enterprise and numerous service providers around the world. I would even say "most" service providers, but that might not be true. Certainly, every large service provider uses it.

So, VoIP is working well. It is everywhere, from the desktop to backbone carrier networks. Even people using normal PSTN lines are indirectly using VoIP and do not even know it. The legacy switched circuit network is being replaced.
rodssmith

Post by rodssmith »

well, the PSTN users don`t even know VOIP but they are still using it this is the same as many of users uses SIP but they don`t know about it. but both of the technologies are in use
Thanks
xKevinx

Post by xKevinx »

SIP-based infrastructures are reliable that provide good quality.
I would also say it is emerging because there are still a lot of people who havent heard about it.
I would like to show you a page with a description on SIP:
http://ozekiphone.com/what-is-sip-sessi ... l-310.html
This page also consists of a video that represents how it is connected to Ozeki Phone System XE.
paulej

Post by paulej »

I don't think this negates the fact that SIP is not an "emerging" protocol. The protocol has emerged a long time ago. Many people have not heard of it, because they're not nerds. People have used the PSTN for decades, but most have never heard of SS7, either. Does that make SS7 emerging? Hardly.

Now, SIP having issues is a whole other topic. In the famous words of a friend of mine, "SIP sucks. It really sucks. But, it's what we have." SIP is not the best solution for migrating the world away from the PSTN, but it's an acceptable first step. Anything beyond basic voice presents challenges for SIP. Hell, even basic voice calls present challenges for SIP. Suppose my phone prefers G.729 and yours prefers iLBC and does not support G.729. If I call you, my phone would offer G.729 and your phone would reject the call. Well, that's pretty useless, isn't it?

So, my phone will then try to place a second call, this time offering G.711. Your phone probably supports G.711, so we can communicate. However, my phone might also support iLBC, but that codec would never be selected since I have no idea what capabilities your device supports.

In this respect, H.323 is significantly superior to to SIP. H.323 is also better for video, since video codec negotiation is a much more complex exercise. It's important to have a good capability exchange mechanism.

And, we're getting to a point now where anyone can set up their own H.323 video service that runs "over the top" on the Internet. I can be reached at h323:paulej@packetizer.com or h323:paulej@cisco.com. The former is powered with a GnuGK and the latter is powered by Cisco's VCS and CUCM. Note that some people still have NAT/FW issues, but there are solutions to NAT/FW traversal. We have information on how to set up and manage your own H.323 services interconnected with the rest of the world at http://www.h323.net/. Spranto also provides free calling services like Skype for those who just want to download the client and give it a try. It's free, too.
xKevinx

Post by xKevinx »

Yes maybe paulej you are right, I can see your point.
I wrote it is emerging, yes because the people, the non-nerds :) like me never heard about it and I just discovered it lately and most of my friends started to use it not long ago. But yes according to your point of view it is not emerging.
I like your reasoning. :)