Commercial use- software source

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
skurla

Commercial use- software source

Post by skurla »

If you plan to use AEScrypt in commercial business and non-commercial, can I use the site (www.aescrypt.com) as a source for downloading the source?

Thanks in advance.
paulej

Re: Commercial use- software source

Post by paulej »

Yes, you're certainly welcome to refer people to aescrypt.com to download the latest software.
_Gq

Post by _Gq »

On the other hand, are we free to include any of the AES applications in our distributions? This would be done with proper credit to AESCrypt, of course.
paulej

Post by paulej »

Yes, AES Crypt may be freely distributed.
ubuntuuser

Post by ubuntuuser »

I built aescrypt for ubuntu/debian binary pack.

https://www.facebook.com/Estprog/posts/355422217846742

sha256sum:
2ba05dfc13d234388ce06cba5709baaa55ee8ec1a3839c5d6ebac25265574327 aescrypt_20120523-1.deb
sr105

Post by sr105 »

paulej wrote:Yes, AES Crypt may be freely distributed.
I'm trying to include part of AES Crypt in U-Boot and the maintainers say that the license of "freeware" is too vague. Any chance of picking a more specific "freeware" license?

BTW I've added a routine based on decrypt_stream() called decrypt_buffer(). I'll gladly send it back your way when I'm done. Actually, I finished the first pass staying as close as possible to decrypt_stream() to make sure I didn't break anything. Next, I'll be writing a version that operates in-place or at the least uses less memory.

Thanks for the code!
paulej

Post by paulej »

Part of the code is under the GNU license. Those files are not mine and I can't control the license on those. The rest is free. The Linux source should have a license file that says you can do whatever you want with it. Except foot the GNU files, that is true. You can use it for private or commercial use, put it in your own software or whatever.

I want to replace the GNU code with code from Apache or OpenSSL, just to have a friendlier license on all parts.

The buffer function sounds like the string encryption function I wrote. I have it posted somewhere on here. It works, but only supports v0 files. I did that since v0 files are small and the string encryption is likely on small strings.

Paul