Mac GUI crashes on startup

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
lotus49

Mac GUI crashes on startup

Post by lotus49 »

The command line utility works fine for me (although I did have to do a bit of fiddling around with the man pages as there was no installer), but the GUI won't start properly.

When I run the GUI the icon appears in the dock and then immediately disappears. If I click on an .aes file, it is decrypted properly but if I drop a file onto the icon in the dock (while aescrypt is not running) it won't start.

I know this is just an AppleScript utility but due to the hideous ugliness of AppleScript, I barely know anything about it. How best might I go about debugging this?

If it is relevant, I am running a fully update Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro.
lotus49

Re: Mac GUI crashes on startup

Post by lotus49 »

On further investigation, my description wasn't entirely accurate.

AEScrypt won't start on my Mac if I just click on the icon.

The problem dropping a plaintext file onto the dock icon was caused by the length of the filename. The name of my test file was three characters long, resulting in an error message that said:

Can't get text 0 thru -1 of "foo"

This appears to be caused by this line in the script:

Code: Select all

set my_extension to text ((the number of characters of tName) - 3) thru -1 of tName
which looks like it will fail for any name shorter than three characters.

Consequently, it appears that there are two separate issues. For one of these I am fairly sure of the cause but I don't know why aescrypt silently fails to start on my Mac (running 10.6.7).
DougReed

Post by DougReed »

The Attached Install should fix the three character problem.
Attachments
AESCrypt.pkg.zip
(55.77 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
Regards,

Doug Reed
DougReed

Post by DougReed »

Dear Lotus49,

I just noticed that you say the program does not start if you click on the Icon. This is true. The program does not work like that. You should put it on your Dock, and drop files on the Lock. They will then be encrypted and the resultant file will be placed in the same directory as the original file. Drop an encrypted file on it, and it will be unencrypted and left in the same directory as the encrypted file.

I fixed the 3 character problem.
Regards,

Doug Reed