Does AESCrypt work on MAC Ventura (OSX 13.x)?

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
nikki970

Does AESCrypt work on MAC Ventura (OSX 13.x)?

Post by nikki970 »

i believe i did the install correctly: downloaded AES Crypt - GUI (Mac x64). Opened AESCrypt_mac_gui_v314.1_x64.dmg to create app in Applications folder. System Security level is "App Store and Identified Developers"). So I cntrl-rightclick to open AESCrypt. Get warning "macos cannot verify the developer...use at own risk." Click OPEN. Nothing happens. If I continue to cntrl-rightclick app, I get message "Press OK to run this script". After clicking OK, nothing happens. Nothing related to AEScrypt appears to be running.

Has anyone else have successfully used AESCrypt on Ventura?

thanks
nikki
paulej

Re: Does AESCrypt work on MAC Ventura (OSX 13.x)?

Post by paulej »

It should work, but it doesn't work by trying to click on the app. It's intended to work by putting the lock icon on the dock and then dragging/dropping the file to be encrypted or decrypted onto the lock.

See the user guide for more details: https://www.aescrypt.com/documentation/ ... 0Guide.pdf

If you have an M1 or M2 processor, you can replace the aescrypt binary extracted from the dmg file with this one: https://www.aescrypt.com/download/v3/ma ... 6_m1m2.tgz. That is just the binary, not the entire package. However, replacing it should not be required.
nikki970

Post by nikki970 »

thanks so much. I never thought of that. really nice of you:-)
nikki
paulej

Post by paulej »

I tried that tonight, but it still demanded Rosetta. I think it's the droplet code that allows one to drag and drop.

Anyway, it appears to work on the latest OS, but requires Rosetta on the M1 processor. I'll see if I can get the build updated to not require Rosetta on the M1 and M2 processors.