AES crypt installed- not shows as running

Discussion related to AES Crypt, the file encryption software for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Java.
Sunmaster57

AES crypt installed- not shows as running

Post by Sunmaster57 »

Hi All,
I am a beginner using AES crypt, I have 32 version installed on laptop running XP & runs normal, however I've been trying to run it on Windows 7 " N version" Professional 64 bit version ( Yes I live in US & this is legit copy from my access to M$ TechNet standard account) running on Dual core Toshiba Laptop.

This seems to install OK trying to start it up via "Run as Administrator" permission ( I normally run as Limited user) nothing works, tried installing 32 bit version as well. there are only 3 files in AEScrypt folder under "program files folder on C drive
when I run one of the programs it generates this error message:
Usage: aescrypt32 [/d|/e] filename
when other icon is run DOS type box briefly flashes & nothing happens.
Am I overlooking something? if so, what is it?

Thanks
Sunmaster57
paulej

Re: AES crypt installed- not shows as running

Post by paulej »

AES Crypt installs as a Windows shell extension. If you right click on a file on your desktop or elsewhere, you should see a menu option for AES Encrypt. That will handle the encryotion. The program that produces that error you mention is just a program to help make things work when you double click on a .as file. It can be called from the command line, but that was not the intent. If you want a command line (console) version, there is a separate download for that.